Meaningful work is one of the most important wellness components for those on a path to recovery from mental illness. Everyone needs to be productive and to be a part of the community in order to achieve wellbeing.
Reintegration.com has provided 10 Important Ideas for Finding and Maintaining Meaningful Employment:
- Just Try! Taking risks breeds the best rewards.
- Find and work with a “Rehabilitation Partner” who will work with you to reintegrate you back into a work environment.
- Improve your skill set: consider volunteer opportunities in order to advance your skills and give you more training. Consider educational opportunities.
- Focus on your health, keep steady, well and take care of both your mind and your body.
- Work on our work habits: whether it is in a current position, volunteer work, or working through a Clubhouse or other program, work on your habits, and make good habits.
- Never give up on yourself, and keep looking toward your goal. Don’t let losing your benefits scare you out of obtaining a job… you can have a meaningful job and still keep your benefits.
- Keep trying and learn from your mistakes and failures. Everything is an educational opportunity.
- Build trust: trust others who want to help you, and help your employers/helpers learn to trust you.
- “Take It One Step at a Time”.
- Recognize – and Celebrate – Your Successes – Cherish every victory, no matter how small, on your road to recovery and reintegration.
For more details and tips for finding meaningful work, click here.